Saturday, December 6, 2008

Defining "me"

This is my high school photo.





It's a curious thing, to age.

I no longer wear long nails or use quite as much hairspray. I sure as hell don't wear as much make-up.
I have not given up my naive nature, believing in people as a whole entity, but a select few have given me reason not to trust them.


My femininity doesn't depend much on how other's view me. I use my nieces for the moments that requires a feminine expression by braiding hair.
My deepest desire is not for the "knight in shinning armor" to save me. I have become my own savior. I make the choices that effect my life and my family's.

Some vanity remains, I must admit. I still want a few certain status symbols like the beamer. I'm pretty sure my morals are in tact. Although, on occasion I have been known to be "human" and err. I have accepted that.
In fact, I embrace the fact that I'm human these days.. Trying to teach my kids not to hold in their farts. I Burp with vigor. I am after all, living in a house with 4 males. Competition is a given! Not to worry, I save it all for home.
I am after all a very feminine creature. I have been told that I am "the epitome of feminine". Obviously some haven't heard me yell "Damn, ...clear the room!" and the giggles that follow, from the boys.
I enjoy tipping well, when I've eaten a good meal. These days they come too far and few. I pump my own gas, even when my husband is in the car. I paint, I fix broken things and I have been known as the "go to gal" when something needs to be built.
I take baths (after scrubbing the tub of course). Calgon is sometimes invited too. I love Yankee Candles, and "Angel" perfume. My favorite color is purple which denotes "passion". I have a passion for art, in various forms. From pictures, paintings, and music.
I enjoy Robert Mondavi, Pinot Noir. Of which I had not ever liked wine until about 10 years ago, when I also found goat cheese. Refining the palate.

Alas, I still have a hearing Impairment.
More pronounced now, than ever before.
Dealing with it and the many facets of life that surround this disability has been a challenge. Every now and again, I break down for a moment... only to get right back up and do something positive about it. I am a very positive person. Through the years have learned to accept people for who they are and sometimes I am able to avoid their negativity.
After all is said and done, I will continue to seek out the best person inside of me, allowing for the occasional human error. Perfectly Imperfect. Human.

No comments:

Followers