Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Insurance Coverage

I was wrong! This is one of the few times, I like being wrong too!
Some insurance carriers recently added hearing aids to thier covered allowances. You will still have to check with your provider to see how much coverage is allowed. Some insurance carriers cover up to $1,000.- per year. Others, not so much. The better the plan, the better the coverage.
For individuals who cannot afford hearing aids, there are numerous routes you can go. The Starkey Corporation has a foundation that provides free/ low cost hearing aids for those who qualify. You have to meet income (or lack of) requirements.
There is also in New York State: Vocational and Educational Services for Individuals with Disabilities(V.E.S.I.D). Again, you have to meet financial requirements.
If you do a general search for "hearing aid assistance" there is a plethora of information available.
Keep in mind that you have to ask questions about everything.
  • If you can't help me, do you know of another source that can assist me with the financial obligation of hearing aids?
  • Are there local programs that can assist me?
  • Is there any more information that you can offer me regarding my situation?

There's no shame in asking for help. We've all been there at one point or another in our lives. Also, try not to feel guilty taking the assistance, that's what our good tax dollars are for!

No comments:

Followers