Friday, November 21, 2008

Bedtime Reader

O.K. So not a good book to be reading at bedtime. I fell asleep before the "introduction".
Next up "Cochlear Implants" by Susan B Waltzman and J. Thomas Roland Jr.
Already scanning through it - looks like Doctor speak to me.

But, it looks like I'm closer to bionics than I previously thought. Part of the evaluation process is to test recognition scores. Less than 30% in the best condition, is a qualification. My recent scores were Right ear 48% and left 32%. So, on the teetering precipice, I stand...Waiting.
I guess I should be glad that I don't qualify but, realistically, I want to hear again, desperately.
I remember Tori Amos' breathy voice in "china" hitting my ears, long hair flapping out the sun roof of C.J.'s Eagle Talon, with the sun shinning and my heart overjoyed. Back then my recognition scores were at around 85%. I could hear the high notes of "times".
At least I had them. Some folks have hearing impairments long before mine started rearing it's ugly head. Which leads me to think about a situation. I know many culturally deaf parents believe in keeping their children within the confines of the deaf community.
I don't know what I would do if my child were born deaf. I know that I love music, and that I would hope that my child could enjoy the same. Children can now be implanted at the age of 2. I think, some earlier. The Cochlear Implant companies want you to see the 5 year old playing the piano, with his implant on... But what about the one that the operation didn't work, and now there's no chance of re-implantation? Hard to think about but if they were my shoes, I think I would go for the implantation... Give my kid at least a chance of hearing the joy that I know............Music.

No comments:

Followers