Sunday, January 11, 2009

Analogy to vegatarianism

After speaking in depth with my husband about my desire to learn more about veg life, he proposed an analogy, the diamond trade.
If it's not right to eat animals, then it's not right to buy diamonds. We agree on this matter. Since the African "blood diamond" trade and slavery, murder, abuse are tied together, I'm opting out of diamonds too. (Not that I ever was really into it)
If you buy a diamond from a dealer that got it from a legit mine, where nothing like those atrocities ever happened, Is it OK?
No, it still feeds into the supply and demand of the diamond trade, perpetuating the whole trades' issues. So slavery, murder and abuse continue. People killing people over rocks, does not sit right here either.
Please understand that I am not trying to change your views or desires, simply expressing my changing, evolving opinionated views.
Joe also raised the question about animal testing, finding a cure for the hearing loss I've suffered and I must say, I would go deaf rather than suffer an animal to this kind of torture.

1 comment:

Libby said...

CZ is lovely and mine looks oh so real,lol! Seriously though, if you look at the many items we buy, people are being abused so we have those things. Especially in the clothing industry. You could go on and on about the abuses not only on animals but on our own human race. You would have to ensure somehow that everything you buy was made, or raised in a humane way. Thats why I swore off Wal-Mart.

Have you seen the movie "blood Diamond"? Will definitely open your eyes up even more to the diamond industry.

Followers