Sunday, August 9, 2009

Time

Time. It seems to be something I'm in serious shortage of lately!
With good reason I assure you. I'm helping an elderly couple get back on their feet. Joyce has a bum hip and needs to have a full hip replacement, so I took her for xrays to see how much damage has furthered in the last 11 years since she last saw her orthopedic surgeon. Yeah, she's been waiting forever, and now her right leg is 2" shorter than the left. Arthritis caused this apparently. After the appointment we got her a new walker, because she insists on being independent and not ride in a wheel chair. OK. So were getting blood work done in the am. Gyula too. Gyula has to have a full range of heart testing done tomorrow. When we were at the doctor's last, they did an EKG, and his heart was erratic. So, tomorrow he's getting another ekg, a sonogram, a MRI or catsckan and Did I mention he's Deaf? Yeah, profoundly so. But an Oral Deaf person who needs to read lips or have things written down for him. Which makes things hard for him and communication. I've also gotten in touch with the "center" formerly League for the Hard of Hearing in NY about getting him hearing aids which, are a federal requirement prior to Cochlear Implantation. Already in touch with NYEE about that one. First his heart needs to be under control, then the rest can follow. So tomorrow should be interesting. By the by, did I mention that these are my parents? Oh, well, gotta start somewhere right? So for my first Advocacy role it's MOM and POP. Lots to do, Lot's to do.

No comments:

Followers