Monday, May 25, 2009

Cochlear Implants

I bit the bullet and was evaluated for Cochlear Implants.
What an emotional torrent that followed suit!
I'm not being forced into making any decisions but there is definitely pressure to assimilate. 'They' want me to be involved in a trial for my specific hearing loss.
I'm not rushing anything. Dealing with the emotional aspect of this first and foremost.
It's amazing, Humanity that is. How we take things for granted and even poke fun of other people for their disabilities. That is, until it happens to us.
I remember calling my father all sorts of names, and being really nasty to him - because he couldn't hear. The shame I feel now for my actions is almost disabling in itself.
Karma?

2 comments:

Billy Koch said...

Cochlear Implants are a big change from hearing aids or even being deaf. But it is also helpful. Granted it doesn't help us hear 100 percent perfectly but it is much better than a hearing aid. It is a challenge because what sometime sucks is when you get the CI people ASSUME that you can hear perfectly like a hearing person. But bleh! Not true. But be ready to re-educate folks! :) Hang in there!

Michelle said...

You live and you learn. The important thing is you've realized the mistakes of your youth (something we don't all do) and now you are in a place you can truly relate to your dad. I'm sure he sees you for the wonderful understanding woman you've become. Don't be so hard on yourself!

Are you considering a trial for a hybrid by any chance?

Followers